Best Things To Do When
Someone You Know Gets Arrested
Best Things To Do When Someone You Know Gets Arrested
My loved one has been arrested. What should I do?
When your loved one calls to tell you he has been arrested, following these guidelines can make a big difference in the ultimate resolution of the case:
1. Remain calm.
2. Resist the urge to demand a detailed explanation of what happened. Now is not the time to scold or cast blame. It is very likely that the call is being recorded. These recordings are easily obtained and transcribed by the prosecutor with a simple subpoena, and are often used at trial against defendants.
3. Determine, as specifically as possible, where your loved one is being held – which jail or station house.
4. Caution your loved one not to talk to anyone about the specifics of the case.
5. Determine if bail has been set and, if so, when and where it can be paid.
6. Contact a criminal defense attorney immediately and arrange for the attorney to meet with your loved one.
“We Help Keep Good People Out Of Jail!”